Stellenangebot: Primary Class Teacher
The Swiss International Scientific School in Dubai (SISD) is a leading international day and boarding school where future generations are inspired to become confident and enthusiastic lifelong learners, ready to embrace the opportunities and challenges of a global world. Founded in 2015, our school currently welcomes more than 1470 students of more than 70 different nationalities on its cutting-edge campus, in the centre of Dubai. From Pre-KG to Grade 12, SISD follows the full continuum International Baccalaureate (IB) programme in three streams focusing on personalised learning and the development of 21st century skills. Students choose between the English with additional languages/STEAM stream or the bilingual English-French/German streams. We pride ourselves on being a fully accredited IB Continuum World School, offering the IB Primary Years Programme (PYP), IB Middle Years Programme (MYP), IB Careers Programme (IB CP) and IB Diploma Programme (DP). Our personalised international curriculum offers an engaging learning experience, the challenge of developing a real understanding of cultural diversity and the support of a thriving international community. Our state of the art, eco-friendly campus adjacent to Dubai creek, ensures that we can offer a wide range of sporting and after school activities tailored to the personal needs and preferences of every student.
Job Title : Primary Class Teacher (German Speaker)
Start Date: Academic year 22-23
Job Scope : The role of the Primary Class Teacher (Grades 1-5) is to build and maintain a successful IB PYP programme within the school by providing an educational atmosphere conducive to learning, in conjunction with the PYP Programme Coordinator. Support and guidance will be provided by the Head of Primary, PYP Curriculum Coordinator, Grade and subject Coordinators. The Primary Class Teacher will ensure that all subjects taught are planned to provide coverage, progression and continuity. He/She is expected to display the highest standards of professionalism in his/her teaching and in his/her relationships with colleagues and parents.
Main Duties and Responsibilities : This not an exhaustive list of duties/responsibilities. The responsibilities outlined may be modified by the Head of Primary School, upon mutual agreement, to reflect or anticipate changes in the role:
- To be responsible for the positive learning environment and achievement of all students in the class, ensuring equality of opportunity throughout
- To promote an enjoyment of learning
- To nurture meaningful relationships with children and provide the individual attention they need having regard to the ability of the students
- To be responsible and accountable for achieving the highest possible standards in work and conduct
- To support a culture of reflective practice
- To treat all students with respect, building relationships rooted in mutual respect, always observing proper boundaries appropriate to a teacher’s professional position
- To work proactively and effectively in collaboration and partnership with students, co-teachers, specialist teachers, teaching assistants, classroom assistants, other staff, parents/guardians and external agencies in the best interests of students
- To design and prepare a challenging, innovative and exciting curriculum using the IBPYP as a framework for students which will enable them to flourish and achieve their potential
- To develop, weekly plans and implement appropriate programs for students
- To design, prepare and deliver lessons to suit the individual needs of all students
- To be accountable for the attainment, progress and outcome of the students and monitor every child’s progress against the IB PYP curriculum
- To set clear and challenging targets that build on prior attainment for each student; use an appropriate range of observation, monitoring and recording strategies as a basis for setting challenging learning objectives for students of all backgrounds, abilities and dispositions, monitoring learners’ progress and levels of attainment
- To be aware of students’ capabilities, their prior knowledge and plan teaching and differentiate appropriately to build on these, demonstrating knowledge and understanding of how students learn
- To have a clear understanding of the needs of all students, including those on the inclusion register with special educational needs; gifted and talented; and/or disabilities; and be able to use and evaluate distinctive teaching approaches to engage and support them all
- To make accurate and productive use of assessment to secure students’ progress and ensure every child makes good progress from their baseline
- To assess and monitor student progress and provide targets so that all learners can see success and improve
- To ensure the students work is displayed and presented to the very highest standards, ensuring the displays are changed regularly and focus on making learning visible to all stakeholders
- To ensure that the classroom and adjacent corridors are kept suitably tidy for prospective parents, to welcome the latter into the classroom and be prepared if requested to give a short explanation of lesson content and displays
- To participate and support in school activities outside regular school hours to enrich the school experience for the students to include, but not limited to, ASAs, Boarding House(s) support, school trips, staff meetings, open days, professional development training sessions, conferences and workshops, induction, major school events and if applicable assessment/examination supervision
- To collaborate with other teachers to share new ideas, approaches and professional knowledge and create a stimulating learning environment for teaching and learning in the Primary School
- To act as a role model for staff, demonstrating a high quality of teaching, learning and assessment in the Primary School
- To participate in relevant meetings / professional development opportunities at school, which relate to the learners, curriculum or organisation of the school including pastoral arrangements and assemblies
- To work as a team member and identify opportunities for working with colleagues and sharing the development of effective practice
- To ensure that Teaching Assistants or Classroom Assistants working in the classroom are appropriately involved in supporting learning and understand the roles they are expected to fulfil
- To take part as required in the review, development and management of the activities relating to the IB PYP curriculum and program of inquiry and pastoral functions of the school as it grows
- To effectively contribute and provide best practice in combatting risk pertaining to cyber safety, health safety and child protection
- To manage the class effectively, using approaches which are appropriate to students’ needs to inspire, motivate and challenge
- To establish a safe, purposeful and stimulating environment for the well-being of the students, rooted in mutual respect
- To emphasise the importance of safety and safe methods of working in all areas of the school and the curriculum
- To communicate to the staff and students that they must take a responsible attitude to the resources and equipment with which they have been provided
- To communicate accurately and regularly with parents
- To liaise effectively with parents and offer opportunities for them to engage in their child’s learning at home
- To develop positive channels of communication to ensure the smooth running of the service amongst all educators
- To attend Parents’ Evenings as required and to provide accurate, honest information regarding the progress of students.
- To report to parents in the form of written reports twice yearly and when made be additionally required by the Head of Primary
- To contribute to the newsletters, social media platforms and marketing activity
- To register the attendance of and supervise students, before, during and at after-school sessions as appropriate
- To participate in and carry out any administrative and organisational tasks as required
- To maintains up to date emergency forms, curriculum plans, individual child development profile and other records as needed
- To regularly review and evaluate the effectiveness of teaching and assessment procedures and its impact on students’ progress, attainment and well-being
- To be responsible for improving teaching through participating fully in training and development opportunities identified by the school or as a result of appraisal
- To participate fully in the teacher appraisal system, with classroom observation of colleagues and a willingness to be personally observed within the classroom
- To submit books, records or planning as required for monitoring by colleagues or management
- To have professional regard for the ethos, policies and procedures of Swiss International Scientific School and maintain high standards in attendance and punctuality
- To maintain smart and professional standards of appearance
- To maintain high standards of conduct both in and out of the classroom. To act in a way that conforms to the school’s ethos and values
- To adhere to the teacher standards and expectations set out in the teacher’s handbook, employee handbook and the school policies
Internal : Students, Teaching Assistants, Classroom Assistants, Teachers, Grade Coordinators, Subject Coordinators, PYP Programme Coordinator, Head of Primary School, Primary Wellbeing Coordinator, Primary Academic and Innovation Coordinator, Principal and Deputy Head of Whole School (Teaching & Learning)
External : Parents, KHDA, IB
- Bachelor’s Degree in Education
- Professional Teaching Qualification (PGCE/QTS, Teaching certificate/Diploma)
- Relevant recent professional development that qualifies the candidate for this post
- A fluent first language German speaker
- Extensive international primary teaching experience of at least 2 years
- Proven track record of excellence and tangible outcomes
- Evidence of outstanding teaching practice.
- Experience of working in an international environment is preferred, however not essential.
- Experience in using technology in the classroom and online to maximise student learning experience.
- A positive, flexible, ‘can do’ work ethic.
- A genuine love for the teaching and learning, and the desire to instil this in students.
- A commitment to ensuring high standards of teaching and learning
- Exceptional communication skills
- Strong collaboration skills to foster partnerships with teachers, students and parents
- A clear personal philosophy on education and how this informs practice.
- A genuine interest in progressive, inclusive student-centred approaches to pedagogy.
- An interest in social enterprise, charity and service learning, and how these can be embedded formally into the curriculum.
- A desire to be involved in the life of the school beyond the classroom and an understanding of the importance of this to student learning
- Excellent standards of personal presentation.
- Enjoyment of working in a positive, collaborative team environment with the values of honesty, integrity and mutual support at the core.
- An enthusiasm for engaging with diverse cultures tempered only with high levels of patience and adaptability
- Inter-culturally aware with well-developed interpersonal skills.
Salary & Benefits : Competitive remuneration and benefits
Contract : Fixed Term contract
Application : Candidates are requested to submit the following documents:
- Cover letter of one page, explaining your strengths as a candidate and why you are interested in this position
- Current CV not to exceed two pages
- 3 professional references with current contact details (position, phone number and e-mail address) not older than 5 years. One must be your current or last Line Manager
Please send your application to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Due to the expected volume of applications we will only contact those applicants that are shortlisted for interview.
We are committed to providing a safe and happy environment for all our employees and in which our students can thrive and learn. We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of all our employees and students. All employees are subject to appropriate vetting procedures including satisfactory criminal record checks from both country of residence/home country and any other country of residence.