The Swiss International Scientific School in Dubai (SISD) is a leading international day and boarding school where future generations are inspired to become confident and enthusiastic lifelong learners, ready to embrace the opportunities and challenges of a global world. Founded in 2015, our school currently welcomes more than 1470 students of more than 70 different nationalities on its cutting-edge campus, in the centre of Dubai. From Pre-KG to Grade 12, SISD follows the full continuum International Baccalaureate (IB) programme in three streams focusing on personalised learning and the development of 21st century skills. Students choose between the English with additional languages/STEAM stream or the bilingual English-French/German streams. We pride ourselves on being a fully accredited IB Continuum World School, offering the IB Primary Years Programme (PYP), IB Middle Years Programme (MYP), IB Careers Programme (IB CP) and IB Diploma Programme (DP). Our personalised international curriculum offers an engaging learning experience, the challenge of developing a real understanding of cultural diversity and the support of a thriving international community. Our state of the art, eco-friendly campus adjacent to Dubai creek, ensures that we can offer a wide range of sporting and after school activities tailored to the personal needs and preferences of every student.
Job Title : IB MYP/DP German Language & Literature Teacher
Start Date: August 2023
Job Scope : The role of a Secondary German Language and Literature Teacher is to deliver excellent teaching and learning in the context of the IB Middle Years Programme (grades 6 to 10) and/or the IB DP Programme (grades 11 to 12). In addition to teaching, the German Language and Literature teacher will share in the wider pastoral and co-curricular life of the school. This will include, inter alia, leading at least one extra-curricular activity per week and providing Boarding House support in terms of supporting a group of students as a Tutor at least once a week. Occasional participation in outreach or promotional activities may be required, but every effort will be made to ensure that this request is reasonable and shared equitably amongst all teaching staff.
Main Duties and Responsibilities : This not an exhaustive list of duties/responsibilities. The responsibilities outlined may be modified by the Head of Primary School, upon mutual agreement, to reflect or anticipate changes in the role:
Teaching, Learning and Assessment
Pastoral and Wider Community
- To teach IB MYP/DP German Language and Literature to suit the individual needs of all students
- To prepare and implement the IB MYP/DP German Language and Literature curriculum for students, with the goals of helping students to develop confidence and proficiency in the subject, a love of learning, as well as preparation for success in the IB MYP E-assessment and/or IBDP examinations.
- To take a Homeroom - a class of students in the same grade where with the support of the Grade Learning Leader you, with other Homeroom teachers in the grade will provide a pastoral program that encompasses IB approaches to learning as an example.
- To establish and maintain classroom environments supportive of learning.
- To ensure that the environment, materials, and equipment are safe, clean, attractive, challenging, functional, anti-bias, and developmentally appropriate.
- Maintain constant awareness of the needs of any students to whom German and English is additional language
- To plan and organise the curriculum and activities to meet the physical, social,
- intellectual, and emotional needs of each student and to provide the students with a safe, stimulating, and engaging learning experience.
- To support students to build critical and creative thinking skills through inquiry, observation, and experimentation.
- To prepare written reports for each student, including parent conference reports, and references for tertiary education when applicable.
- To maintain records and documentation of each student's learning and progress in line with the school's assessment policy.
- To provide documentation and to communicate with the Senior Leadership Team, parents, and outside specialists if students need further support or assessment.
- To conduct effective parent conferences including preparing detailed assessments of the student's development and providing relevant examples of the student's learning activities.
- To engage with co-teachers through collaboration and discussion of individual students' needs and daily curriculum planning.
- To use non-contact time during school hours to prepare for upcoming activities, to participate in team meetings and to be available for cover.
- To interact with students using a positive, supportive, respectful and open-minded attitude, language and tone, and to support and sustain the school's codes of conduct.
- To always remain alert to the safety and well-being of the students, and on any off-site activities.
- To support students' social and emotional growth.
- To recognise that as role models for students, one's own personal conduct and the example of behaviour set must be of the highest standards.
- To attend and participate in staff meetings, departmental meetings, and other meetings as required.
- To maintain regular attendance and punctuality.
- To communicate in a positive, supportive and professional manner with parents (written and verbal) on an ongoing basis.
- To conduct effective project-related events for families including presentations when required.
- To establish and maintain a positive relationship of cooperation and respect with colleagues.
- To contribute to the development of community among staff by having open and constructive communication and to be proactive in feeding ideas and suggestions for school improvement to the relevant responsible persons.
- To maintain an attitude of continuous personal and professional development and improvement.
- To maintain confidentiality and to model a professional work ethic.
- To represent the broader SISD ethos and values to parents, staff, and community.
- To attend professional development workshops and trainings including, but not limited to, internal training events, and to engage constructively in systems of professional appraisal and development.
- To perform other duties as necessary and as assigned by the Head of Secondary School to ensure programme compliance and quality services to children and parents.
- To be familiar with the SISD Teacher Standards and Employee Handbook and to work within the policies set out there
Internal: Students, Senior Leadership Team, Deputy Senior Leadership Team, Secondary Leadership Team, Curriculum/Subject/Grade Coordinators, Head of Depts, Teachers, LSAs, Counsellors, Healthcare Team, HSE Team, Marketing & Admissions Team, HR Team
External : Parents, KHDA, IB
- Bachelor's Degree in German Language & Literature or related subject
- Professional Teaching Qualification
- Relevant recent professional development that qualifies the candidate for this post
- A fluent first language German speaker
- Extensive international secondary teaching experience of at least 2 years
- Significant experience of delivering the IB MYP and IB DP curriculum in German Language and Literature
- Experience of curriculum planning and development in German Language and Literature
- Proven track record of excellence and tangible outcomes in examination results
- Evidence of outstanding teaching practice.
- Experience of working in an international environment is preferred, however not essential.
- Experience with being a form tutor preferred, however not essential
- Experience with assessing student work and providing feedback against success and IB E-assessment and IB DP exam criteria.
- Experience in using technology in the classroom and online to maximise student learning experience.
- A positive, flexible, ‘can do’ work ethic.
- A genuine love for the teaching and learning, and the desire to instil this in students.
- A commitment to ensuring high standards of teaching and learning
- Exceptional communication skills
- Strong collaboration skills to foster partnerships with teachers, students and parents
- A clear personal philosophy on education and how this informs practice.
- A genuine interest in progressive, inclusive student-centred approaches to pedagogy.
- An interest in social enterprise, charity and service learning, and how these can be embedded formally into the curriculum.
- A desire to be involved in the life of the school beyond the classroom and an understanding of the importance of this to student learning
- Excellent standards of personal presentation.
- Enjoyment of working in a positive, collaborative team environment with the values of honesty, integrity and mutual support at the core.
- An enthusiasm for engaging with diverse cultures tempered only with high levels of patience and adaptability
- Inter-culturally aware with well-developed interpersonal skills.
Salary & Benefits : Competitive remuneration and benefits
Contract : Fixed Term contract
Application : Candidates are requested to submit the following documents:
- Cover letter of one page, explaining your strengths as a candidate and why you are interested in this position
- Current CV not to exceed two pages
- 3 professional references with current contact details (position, phone number and e-mail address) not older than 5 years. One must be your current or last Line Manager
Please send your application to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date: 7 July 2023
Due to the expected volume of applications, we will only contact those applicants that are shortlisted for interview. We reserve the right to appoint before the closing date.
We are committed to providing a safe and happy environment for all our employees and in which our students can thrive and learn. We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of all our employees and students. All employees are subject to appropriate vetting procedures including satisfactory criminal record checks from both country of residence/home country and any other country of residence and Barring & Prohibition checks.